This might be the quickest, easiest, cheapest, and most delicious way to make your Taco Tuesday vegetarian friendly.
This recipe can easily become vegan by subtracting the honey, and can easily be made gluten free by buying GF taco shells/tortillas, and by getting a GF rice blend. This recipe is also tailored to having a very easy and stress free post-dinner kitchen cleanup.
Prep time: 15 minutes // Cook time: 15 // Recipe creates about 12 large tacos
What you’ll need:
- Hard taco shells and/or tortillas
- Uncle Ben’s quinoa and brown rice blend (two packets)
- Black beans (2 cans)
- Corn (1 can)
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- Olive oil (2 tbsp)
- Large, deep pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Put 1 tbsp of olive oil into a large, deep pan on medium-high heat. Drain black beans and put into the pan. Stir occasionally for 3-4 minutes. Add two large spoonfuls of honey and 1/2 cup of water into the pan. Stir occasionally for 7 to 8 minutes until most of the water has evaporated. Drain and set aside into large mixing bowl.
- While the black beans simmer, dice the onion into small quarter-inch pieces. When the black beans are finished and set aside, put the other 1 tbsp of olive oil into the same pan on medium-high heat (leave black bean residue) and sauté the onions until golden brown. Pour into the same mixing bowl along with the black beans.
- While onions are being sautéed cut/mash the avocado until desired consistency and place into the mixing bowl. Cut the tomato into cubes and place into the mixing bowl.
- Open and drain the corn. When the onions are finished and in the mixing bowl, place the corn into the same pan (leave onion residue) and stir constantly until warm. Take off and set aside into the large mixing bowl.
- Heat up taco shells in the oven on 325° until golden brown (3-5 minutes.)
- Follow the directions exactly on the Uncle Ben’s quinoa and brown rice blend. Pour into large mixing bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients into the large mixing bowl. Fill up tacos and enjoy!
NEXT DAY LEFTOVERS…
Have leftovers? Make a salad! I had a pre-packaged bag of caesar salad in my fridge so I opened it up, grabbed a handful of lettuce and poured my leftovers on top! I finished it with some raspberry walnut vinaigrette and a little bit of pepper!